|Thanksgiving is almost here. While you’re eating your pie, turkey, cranberry sauce, and stuffing, we thought you might want to take a little genealogy challenge that Dan Lynch, one of our friends submitted to us. He said it took him several hours to solve this brain teaser, but grab a piece of pumpkin pie and see if you can do it faster.|
You can read it below or view online at: http://www.genealogyworldwide.com/genealogy_fun.php
Using only the information provided above, you need to determine which husband belongs to which wife, their surname and the number of years that each couple has been married. There is only one solution to this set of facts. Don’t assume anything that is not a fact.
Here’s the challenge:
On June 1st, five couples who live in Trumbull will celebrate their wedding anniversaries. Their surnames are Johnstone, Parker, Watson, Graves, and Shearer. The husbands’ given names are Russell, Douglas, Charles, Peter, and Everett. The wives’ given names are Elaine, Joyce, Marcia, Elizabeth, and Mildred. Keep in mind that no two couples have been married the same number of years. From the clues given, try to determine the husband and wife that make up each couple and the number of years they have been married.
- Joyce has not been married as long as Charles or the Parkers, but longer than Douglas or the Johnstones.
- Elizabeth has been married twice as long as the Watsons, but only half as long as Russell.
- The Shearers have been married ten years longer than Peter and ten years less than Marcia.
- Douglas and Mildred have been married for 25 years less than the Graves who, having been married for 30 years, are the couple who have been married the longest.
- Neither Elaine nor the Johnstones have been married the shortest amount of time.
- Everett has been married for 25 years.
Note: If you are having trouble, you can go to the following address for some assistance: View & Print a Logic Grid for this Anniversary Brain Teaser. We will post the answer on New Years Day – January 1, 2007! Good luck!