Five Living Generations

Posted by on

Five Generations

Five Generations

My personal family tree sprouted a new branch.

I became a great-uncle.

My nephew Tyler and his wife Nicole were blessed with a little guy who – at his birth – made grandparents of my brother Brad and his wife Shanna.

The baby – not yet named – may meet his great-great-grandmother Shirley in a few weeks as the family passes through Utah. Nearing 90 years of age, and with her health failing she may not have that much time to connect with family.

I am fortunate to have very clear memories of one great-grandparent who lived until I was 25 or so.  The new baby’s great-grandparents – my parents – are healthy. Still under the age of 70 my parents will certainly be a big part of this little boy’s childhood, teenage life and later years.

What a great photo it will make to have one of the baby with his great-great-grandmother! I’m looking forward to that and hope that, in several decades – when the baby is a man, he will appreciate that first meeting with her. Not very many of us have enjoyed that experience which connects the past with the future of a family.

Cayden
Cayden – who will soon meet his Great Great Grandmother

We genealogists often dream of meeting the people we now research, although we’ll have to wait until the time machine is invented to achieve that goal.

Do you find yourself researching your ancestors and hoping to someday talk to the people you now include in your family tree?  What questions would you ask them?

I’m also wondering how many readers have met a great-great-grandparent or great-grandparent. Who was the oldest relative you have known? Let us know in the comments below.

UPDATE – Baby Name – Cayden Bradley

9 Responses to “Five Living Generations”

1. Hi just letting you know that i am 86 and still active ,have 2 Great Great Grandchildren a 5 year old Girl named Angle and a grandson 2 years old

2. Lois says:

Thanks for the update on the name. Is Bradley the surname? That’s my maiden name and I’d love to see if we are related.

3. Donna Cookson Martin says:

I was 7 years old when my great-great-grandmother died at the age of only 77. I only met her once or twice and wish I could have spent more time with her. She had married at 15. I was the eldest daughter of the eldest daughter of the eldest daughter of her only daughter (and her eldest child). By the time she died I was the eldest of her 3 great-great-grandchildren.
    When I was born all of my 4 maternal great-grandparents were still alive, as well as one great-grandmother on my father’s side. I didn’t meet all of them. We lived in Canada, and most of them were far away in the United States. However, the great-grandma who lived until I was 22 frequently visited for several days, and I came to know her well. How I wish I’d asked her more questions and listened more closely to her family stories.
    Incidentally, my first child is also a daughter and her first and only child is a daughter. My granddaughter is thus the eldest child and the eldest female for six generations.

4. Phil Drajeske says:

No such thing as a great uncle (no more than great father) even though the term is widely mis-used. Your father’s brother is your uncle, your grandfather’s brother is your grand uncle, and your great grandfathr’s brother is your great grand uncle.

5. Mark Olsen says:

Thanks for the comments.
    I guess it was not meant to be. Great Great Grandma passed away only a few days after this post. We buried her in Idaho last week. Unfortunately she never had the chance to meet her first great, great grandchild in person.
    This was not an untimely death – she was worn out and often told us she wanted to go ‘home’.
    As far as her great great grandchildren to come – they will have a lot of great information to read that grandma has written over the years. They will get re-live her life in her own words.

6. Char Martin says:

When my Granddaughter was born, we had 5 living generations on both of her my sides…Both my parents were alive along with each of their mothers…We are blessed with a 5 generation picture…She got to really know my grandmother who passed when my granddaughter was 11.

7. James says:

hi I just wanted to share that I am the 5 generation of a 5 living generations
    p.s. cute baby

8. Tina Stuart says:

My 21 year old Granddaughter gave birth to her son and my great-grandson, John Braxton Torres on July 3, 2013. This is my daughters’ first grandson and my mothers’ first great great grandson.
    When Kaitlyn, (the 21 year old), was born she brought in the Fifth Living Generation, making my mom’s mother the Patriarch of the family. Addie Rosa Moore York was 90 years old. She held that reign until her death. She was 92.

Something else I find curious, and worth mentioning. My great grandson was born 0703, making him a Cancer. His mom was born 11/07, making her Scorpio. Her mom, my daughter was born 07/15, a Cancer. I was born 11/23, Sagittarius but directly on the Scorpio cusp. My mom born 06/23, a Cancer. Her mother born 11/06, a Scorpio. Her mother(my great grandmother) 07/26, a Cancer.